Well, free as in you don’t need to buy any software, etc. or anything in fact.
Here it is…
- Pick one of your competitors on the web who are doing better than you for your chosen search term (better to choose one of your less competitive terms/competitors for this tip).
- Go to Yahoo Site Explorer and input their URL and hit ‘Explore URL’.
- Choose the ‘inlinks’ tab.
- In the ‘show inlinks’ on the first drop down menu choose ‘except from this domain’ and on the second choose ‘entire site’.
- Now click ‘Export first 1000 results to TSV’ (you may have more than 1000 in your list, but Yahoo will only give you access this way to the first 1000. You can play around with some different search parameters to distil this some more. However, as mentioned before a more ‘niche’ area and picking a competitor with less than a 1000 results would be better).
- Once you have the TSV file you can open it in Excel or the spreadsheet programme of your choice.
- Now have a play around. Use your imagination! Think about what you can do with this data. As an example you could do a search for the competitors name and this will find the page titles and pages that mention (and are usually dedicated) to that company. This is usually either a directory you could assess the worth of or even better it might be a website that takes outside content and will be prepared to give you a page.
There are a lot of programmes out there that help you do things like this too. However, I just thought that if you are sitting there wondering what you could devote half an hour of link building time to and is FREE, then this could get you going.